Monday, March 7, 2011

Personal Review For The Things They Carried

In the fictional story of The Things the Carried by Tim O’Brien, the author tells the tragic war story of the men in the Alpha Company troop during the Vietnam War. In this twisted tale, narrator Tim O’Brian speaks of the many different events that occurred during his experience in the war and describes the deaths of the many men—some of them were members of his troop and others were ones that he encountered at battle-- that were killed during the war. I really enjoyed this book and felt that the author’s style of writing was very compelling; it kept me on my toes and allowed for the storyline to be unpredictable. I especially enjoyed the chapters of “The man I Killed” and “Ambush” and the way in which the author wrote the same story from two different points of view. I also enjoyed the uniqueness of the way in which the author tied things together. He starts off the book by listing off the things each of the soldiers “carried” while off at war and within each chapter he explains the significance of each of the objects and how they relate to an event that each of the soldiers experienced.  This allowed for me as the reader to understand each of the characters better and learn more about each of their personalities. Overall, I thought the story was very entertaining and engaging and would highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment