Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Personal Review


After reading through Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, I had mixed emotions on how I felt about the book. I thought the story line was decent with some interesting twists toward the end, however, I didn’t find Fitzgerald’s style of writing to be very effective. I tended to lose interest throughout the book due to the lack of suspense and felt that his style was very dull. After a couple of chapters in, it began to seem very repetitive and tedious.  On the contrary, I did enjoy the characters within the story and thought that is was interesting being able to discover each of their individual personalities and secrets throughout the plot. Each of the characters personalities would seem to change within an instant based on the situation or the people they were interacting with. I found it quite fascinating learning about Gatsby and Daisy’s past and seeing how it all connected at the end. I also felt that Fitzgerald was successful with relating to the reader by basing his plot on real-life situations and emotions most human beings experience in there life: love, loneliness, happiness, life. Overall, I would not say that book would be one of the best novels I have ever read, but I felt that it was decent book with both positive and negative qualities. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said about it being interesting to follow the plot for each individual character, and I also noticed how the characters seemed to change with each situation. This happened many times throughout the text. I also agree with the fact that Fitzgerald was able to take a specific story with a few characters and connect it to large themes that occur in real life.

    ReplyDelete